Friday, September 2, 2016

Have a Great Labor Day 2016 with documentary: Trash Dance

I am smitten with a documentary I just saw on PBS called Trash Dance directed by Andrew Garrison. One reviewer wrote:  Austin Choreographer Allison Orr finds beauty and grace in garbage trucks. The documentary follows Allison for over a year as she works with sanitation workers in Austin to develop a dance recital with the tools of their trade, from one individual picking up trash to 16 trash trucks, cranes and workers lifting cans and working levers to music--performing for an audience of several thousand people in the rain in Austin.  No tax dollars were involved, only private grant money and time of these unsung heroes went into the project.  I don't know whether you may have contemplated how and where the trash on your curb goes and how it gets to where its going, I cannot claim to much expertise on the subject.  This documentary tells some amazing stories.  I recommend it.

If you've been following my blog for long, you know by now that I find inspiration for being a Property Manager from just about everything I come in contact with, and Trash Dance is no exception. Like the individuals who are portrayed in this documentary, those of us in Property Management sometimes feel we labor in obscurity, that we only deal with problems, that we don't get credit for keeping the lights on and the toilets flushing.  Seeing this documentary reminds me, and I hope everyone who maybe sees themselves in less than "sexy" occupations take heart that their work has as much meaning and value anyone else's.  For this Labor Day 2016, here's to all of us who keep the trash picked up.  Hope you have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment